29 April 2010

Today's Gratitude: A new day

After yesterday's incident with my little guy carrying on for much of the time we had to wait for my daughter, I was fearful that today would bring more of the same. As a homeschooler in NY, one option I have for end-of-the-year assessment is to have them tested. There are tests I could order and administer myself, but frankly, we do not have the financial means to do so, so we take the school district up on their offer to provide and administer the tests. The down side of this is that we have to wait in the cafeteria of the administrative offices while they take the test. Due to my children's ages, the tests are administered over several days. Today was the second day of testing for my oldest and another day in the cafeteria.

The cafeteria staff are very friendly and the employees are also very kind. That does not mean that I want to have a screaming child on my hands though. That is why I am grateful for new days. Today went so much better than yesterday and my little guy did not get upset once. I did avoid buying chocolate milk today though and opted for cookies instead. They had a nice, healthy breakfast at home first, so I didn't feel bad about the cookie at 9:30 in the morning. I also brought different activities and these ones seemed to suit him better as well.

Today's experience reminded me that every day is a new day and we do not have to allow the attitudes, problems, and issues of the previous day to determine how this day will go.

No comments: